So it was Father's Day and my Dad's favorite cake is Angel Food Cake....so of course that's what I tried....again....from scratch. When my Dad said "really, my favorite is this box mix," I should have listened....but, no. I just had to make Dad a cake from scratch. I am just that
Angel food cake is a royal
Angel Food Cake
Adapted from Alton Brown
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 12 egg whites, room temperature (can buy egg whites in a carton)
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 tsp. extract of choosing (I used vanilla)
- 1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (do NOT grease the tube pan you will use.
- In a food processor, spin the sugar until it is super fine, about 2-4 minutes.
- Sift half of the sugar into the flour and add the salt., set remainder of sugar aside.
- In a LARGE bowl (I mean large) whisk together egg whites, water, extract and cream of tartar.
- Use an electric mixer and beat on medium speed, slowly adding in the sugar until a medium peak forms (flops a little at the top when you try to make a peak).
- Sift enough of the flour mixture to cover the top of the foam and fold in with a spatula. Repeat this until all the flour mixture has been added.
- Spoon mixture into UNGREASED tub pan.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. Test to see if it is done by inserting a wooden dowel in the middle of the cake, it should come out dry.
- Cool the cake UPSIDE DOWN for at least one hour.
*Note: I garnished it with fresh whip cream and strawberries soaked in sugar (it makes them a bit syrup-y), but you can cut it in half and fill it which chocolate mousse, or any other combo you like!