Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Guitar Cake!

Congratulations, Preston!
This cake is for a young man that is graduating high school and attending Alabama next year (Roll Tide, y'all). I am told he is quite the guitar player and very excited about Alabama. This is a white almond sour cream cake with strawberry filling and almond buttercream. The decorations are done in fondant and the silver accents are done with luster dust.

Before I start any shaped cake like this I make a template out of newspaper.  This helps me to get the size and shape right before I start carving the cake and it makes carving the cake go much faster.  If you are just filling with buttercream then fill between the layers, freeze, and then carve. If you are filling the cake, like I was in this situation, carve the layers first, make a buttercream dam, fill, place the second layer on top, and dirty ice the cake.  Here is a pic of the cake during assembly:

 Until next time, Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment