Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Week 17 :: Baby Shower Cake

I've been on a cake kick for a while now because there have been so many special occasions for friends and family. I have to admit I love it that my friends trust me with such special events in their lives! This week I made a baby shower cake for a boy.  No new recipes but I added a few "tricks" below.




Tricks:
1. If you're not getting the straight lines and edges you want with the crumb/dirty coat, let the coat sit for a minute then take a paper towel and place on top of the cake or around the side of cake...use your hands to rub the paper towel and smooth out the buttercream....pull off the paper towel slowly and ta da!
2. If it is going to be rainy or humid, start a couple days early. Fondant and humidity do NOT get along and it takes for-ev-er to dry!  I made all of the buttons, the bow and the baby days before--anything that is not going to be eaten, give it time to harden.
3. The lid is made out of a rice crispy treat. You can mold them into any shape that you want....they are a great support and perfect for little accents like the lid. You can also use them in the base of a cake for extra support and height.

No comments:

Post a Comment