Sunday, May 29, 2011

Week 21 :: Let Them Eat Cake!

This week I had three cakes requests--whew!!  I had so much fun making them but I am worn out.  There are a few tricks to share with each cake in case you want to try making them on your own, but as always, if you have any questions feel free to ask....

Happy Baking!

Cake 1 ::  Life's a Beach!


This cake is a small two tiered cake that serves about 20 people.  The figures are made out of fondant and the sand is made out of mashed up graham crackers and buttercream icing (I am particularly proud of thinking of this on the fly).  For the eyes I used a Gourmet Writer which is a food coloring pen.  I used these pens again on the other cakes I made this week.  You can also use them on dried royal icing and many other edible surfaces.  The figures dried for about 36 hours before I attached them to the cake--careful with the octopus legs, they break easily.

Cake 2 :: Vegas Baby!


This cake is a larger two tiered cake that serves about 40 people.  It's pretty straight forward, but there are a few details that are a challenge.  First, to make the blue support for the sign on top I stuck two skewers into a thick ball of fondant.  I then rolled the fondant out with the skewers in it.  I then cut out around the skewers to get the shape I needed.  I did this instead of poking the skewers in later because they can push around the fondant and mess up the shape you were going for.  I also used the Gourmet Writers to write on the sign.  Everything gets glued together with piping gel--an edible super glue of sorts.  The coins I painted in antique gold luster dust and let them dry for about 24 hours.

Cake 3 ::  Drum Machine!


Let's be honest--I had NO idea what I was doing here.  I don't even know what one of these things does.    But a sweet friend asked for this cake for her boyfriend so I did my best dang-it and this is what came out.  The Gourmet Writers came in REALLY handy for all the detail of this cake.  All the buttons, etc. were made out of fondant.  By the end this cake weighed about 30 pounds....

No comments:

Post a Comment